Optional Practical Training (OPT)
Optional Practical Training (OPT) is off-campus employment authorization for eligible F-1 students. There are 2 major steps to apply for OPT:
- Work with OIS to get OPT I-20.
- Submit application to the federal government after you receive your OPT I-20.
STEM Optional Practical Training Extension (STEM OPT)
The STEM OPT Extension (STEM OPT) is 24 additional months of work authorization after OPT for students who complete a degree in a STEM-designated field. Students apply for the 24-month STEM OPT extension while they are in a valid period of post-completion OPT. There are 2 major steps to apply for STEM OPT:
- Work with OIS to get STEM OPT I-20.
- Submit application to the federal government after you receive your STEM OPT I-20.
Here are additional resources to help students learn more about the OPT and STEM OPT application processes and reporting requirements:
Pre-Completion and Post-Completion OPT
- Pre-Completion OPT Information
- OPT Information
- OPT Checklist
- OPT: Direct Relationship to Major Area of Study
- OPT: Reporting Requirements and FAQs
STEM OPT Extension
- STEM OPT Information
- STEM OPT Checklist
- STEM OPT: Direct Relationship to Major Area of Study
- STEM OPT: Reporting Requirements and FAQs
Application Aids and Reminders
- Sample I-765
- OPT: From I-765 Online Filing Information
- Sample I-983 - for STEM only
- I-983 Instructions - for STEM only
- USCIS Application Reminders