2022 Tax Information

It’s hard to believe the 2021 tax filing season is right around the corner!

The U.S. Internal Revenue Service requires tax forms from all individuals present in the U.S. during the 2021 tax year, regardless of income. As a reminder, maintaining immigration status requires that an individual comply with all U.S. laws, which includes filing federal taxes (and state and local, if applicable).  April 18, 2022 is the deadline to submit these forms for the calendar year 2021.

To assist international students and scholars who are still non-residents for tax purposes in preparing their tax returns, OIS has arranged free access to Sprintax Tax Preparation. Sprintax will guide eligible students and scholars through the tax preparation process, arrange the necessary documents and check if a tax refund is due. Information about taxes and how to use Sprintax can be found at the links below.

Free International Tax Prep

You can schedule your free appointment for assistance with your international tax return with the Volunteer Income Tax Program (VITA). The David Berg Center for Ethics and Leadership at the University of Pittsburgh Joseph M. Katz School of Business is partnering with the United Way of Southwestern Pennsylvania to provide free assistance for completion of 2021 tax returns.

  • LOCATION: Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh, Classroom A, 4400 Forbes Avenue, Pittsburgh PA 15213
  • DATES: February 4 - April 15, 2022
  • SCHEDULING: You can schedule an appointment by calling 211 or visiting pa211sw.org (for face-to-face/drop off)
  • VIRTUAL HELP: GetYourRefund.org/PITT

Sprintax Resources

Given the current challenges of remote students trying to access tax information this season, the Sprintax team will be hosting a series of free open tax webinars to provide helpful information around non-resident tax filing obligations.

The informational webinars will cover the same topics on each occasion:

  • An overview of tax for nonresident students and scholars
  • Who must file a 2021 US tax return
  • What income forms students/scholars may receive
  • Forms that need to be completed and sent to the IRS
  • We cover terms like FICA, ITIN and Form 1098-T
  • What happens if students don’t file, or misfile
  • State tax returns
  • IRS stimulus payments
  • Sprintax overview

Additional Tax Resources